Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

81465 records – page 1 of 4074.

Collection
Administrators Accounts
Object ID
AdAcct 1858 F004 L
Description Level
Item
Collection
Administrators Accounts
System of Arrangement
Arranged alphabetically by year.
Year
1858
People
Lane, Elliott Eskridge
Subcategory
Documentary Artifact
Search Terms
Administrators' accounts
James Buchanan Presidential Library
Probate records
Place
Lancaster
Object Name
Administrators' account
Language
English
Condition
Fair
Object ID
AdAcct 1858 F004 L
Classification
RG 04-00 0150
Location
Archives
Container
230
Box Number
230
Additional Notes
Lane, James B. Administrator.
2 items, 2 pieces
Access Conditions / Restrictions
Request at Reference Desk; photocopy made by staff member.
Less detail
Collection
Administrators Accounts
Object ID
AdAcct 1865 F010 L
Description Level
Item
Collection
Administrators Accounts
System of Arrangement
Arranged alphabetically by year.
Year
1865
People
Lane, Elliott Eskridge
Subcategory
Documentary Artifact
Search Terms
Administrators' accounts
James Buchanan Presidential Library
Probate records
Place
Lancaster
Object Name
Administrators' account
Language
English
Condition
Fair
Object ID
AdAcct 1865 F010 L
Classification
RG 04-00 0150
Location
Archives
Container
232
Box Number
232
Additional Notes
Lane, Harriet R. Administrator.
2 items, 2 pieces
Access Conditions / Restrictions
Request at Reference Desk; photocopy made by staff member.
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
P.00.34.1
Date Range
c. 1805
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Communion altar from Brickerville United Lutheran Church (originally Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church). Rectangular altar of painted softwood, panelled construction all four sides with pegged mortise and tenon joints. Small panels over large. Door in the back with a recessed panel and knob handle. Molding around base, the edge of the top, and framing the recessed panels.
Modification to altar in 1947 by Bob Helman (signature underneath when removed 10-17-00) was a long platform shelf covering the back 2/5 of the top, with holes at the back, including an electrical outlet. Entire altar has been given a new coat of paint, a light chocolate brown on top and white on the sides. The unpainted interior has one shelf with a vertical divider.
Altar has been used since circa 1800 to serve communion, using the Brickerville United Lutheran Church's ten-piece pewter communion service which is also in collections (P97.08.01-10).
Provenance
Purchased directly from the church.
Date Range
c. 1805
Year Range From
1790
Year Range To
1815
Made By
Perhaps by Emanuel Dyer of Manheim or Mr. Zartman of Brickerville
Subcategory
Ceremonial Artifact
Object Name
Altar
Oither Names
Altar, Communion
Material
Wood / Paint
Height (in)
45.25
Length (in)
49
Width (in)
33.5
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2016-04-15
Condition Notes
Large crack on top, approx. 4" from front, running halfway across top. Recently painted. Some separation at moldings. Large hole bored in altar top (for electric wire) underneath the added platform, now removed. The modern base molding also removed. Repainted top with brown and attached molding at ends of top to secure plexi top. Paint removed on door.
Accession Number
P.00.34
Object ID
P.00.34.1
Location
LHO
Room
Groff Gallery
Place of Origin
Lancaster County
Credit
Heritage Center Collection, acquired through generosity of James Hale Steinman Foundation and V. Ronald Smith
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.97.39.9
Date Range
c. 1800
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Mennonite apron of bleached, plain-weave cotton and black two-ply silk embroidery. Apron is gathered at the top and sewn onto a waist band with a commercial tape string at each end.
At top center is a dark brown cross-stitched design of a central star flower on triangle base, surrounded by seven stars or crosses. The separated initials "M S" flank this design and large crosses flank initials. Three different embroidered borders of black silk combine with drawnwork at bottom above a one-inch self-fringe secured with black stitches.
Provenance
Purchased by donor from the Fred Weiser in 1997. Weiser notes there are about 15 aprons known; see article in Der Regebogge written "some years ago".
Date Range
c. 1800
Year Range From
1790
Year Range To
1810
Made By
Unknown person with initials "M. S."
Subcategory
Clothing -- Outerwear
Object Name
Apron
Material
Cotton / Silk
Height (in)
33
Width (in)
34.5
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2016-06-01
Condition Notes
Staining around embroidered design and initials from bleeding embroidery, near top. Age discoloration with small stains overall. Stains along sides. Several thread "pulls". Areas of missing embroidery on three crosses at bottom. Small hole at lower right of design.
Conserved Nov. 1997 by Dorothy McCoach of Bethlehem, PA
Accession Number
G.97.39
Object ID
G.97.39.9
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 2
Cabinet
Unit 13
Container
Box # 59
Place of Origin
Lancaster County
Credit
Gift of Hampton Randolph, Sr., Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.89.10
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Cast iron ashtray in rectangular form, sloping sides, sunken top with raised sides having a textured surface with two corner indentations for cigarettes. Opposite end of indentation is a grouping of four geese, fully formed, attached to top surface with screws. Entire surface is bronzed with a pattern of oblique stripes on sides.
Marked "144" on bottom. The Hubley catalog "Metal Art Goods" lists this ashtray as #144 and named "Goosie Goosie Gander." The description notes it has "an unusual bronze finish".
Provenance
Owned by J. Roland Gilbert (1888-1940) and inherited by his daughter the donor (1916-1992). Donor writes: "acquired in the late '20s or early '30s and 'possibly' a gift from Mr. Joseph Breneman, a Hubley Exec." J. Roland Gilbert was president of Lancaster Press Inc. and general manager of the New Era Publishing Co.
Year Range From
1930
Year Range To
1940
Made By
Hubley Manufacturing Co.
Subcategory
Household Accessory
Object Name
Ashtray
Material
Cast Iron / Paint
Height (in)
2.25
Length (in)
4.875
Width (in)
4.25
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2015-03-24
Condition Notes
Overall soil with some finish losses in the sunken top. Some rusting around screws on bottom.
Accession Number
G.89
Object ID
G.89.10
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West
Cabinet
Unit 31
Place of Origin
Lancaster, PA
Credit
Gift of Elizabeth Ann Gilbert in memory of J. Roland Gilbert, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
P.97.08.6
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Pewter basin, part of the Warwick Congregation's (now known as the Brickerville United Lutheran Church) communion service.
High, rounded sides flare out to a flattened rim with rolled edge. Booge appears to be unhammered. Barns struck his large circular mark with an eagle on the inside of bottom. The left portion of the eagle as well as the letters "BAR" on the bottom are discernible, as well as the "HE" above the eagle.
Provenance
The entire communion service remained in use over the years until the congregation decided in 1997 to find a safe place for this valuable communion set. Purchased by the Heritage Center of Lancaster County.
Year Range From
1795
Year Range To
1810
Made By
Barns, Stephen
Subcategory
Food Service T&E
Object Name
Basin
Material
Pewter
Height (in)
2
Diameter (in)
7.75
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2014-09-02
Condition Notes
Overall heavy abrasions, dents and dark discolorations. Rim has several cracks/breaks with considerable distortion. Poorly struck touchmark.
Accession Number
P.97.08
Object ID
P.97.08.6
Location
LHO
Room
Groff Gallery
Wall
East
Place of Origin
Probably Middletown or Wallingford, Connecticut
Credit
Acquired through the generosity of the James Hale Steinman Foundation and Friends of the Heritage Center Museum, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
P.97.08.5
Date Range
c. 1820
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Pewter beaker or handleless cup. Part of the Warwick Congregation's (now known as the Brickerville United Lutheran Church) communion service.
Cylinder form flares out slightly at bottom as well as top. Banded at base.
Engraved on the exterior, near top, are the small initials "M.W."
Provenance
The entire communion service remained in use over the years until the congregation decided in 1997 to find a safe place for this valuable communion set. Purchased by the Heritage Center of Lancaster County.
Date Range
c. 1820
Made By
Boardman, Thomas D. and Sherman, attributed
Subcategory
Food Service T&E
Object Name
Beaker
Material
Pewter
Height (in)
3.625
Diameter (in)
2.875
Dimension Details
Diameter of bottom is listed. Diameter of top is 2.5".
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2014-08-28
Condition Notes
Overall abrasions, pitting, small dents and staining. Rim has multiple small dents and abrasions. Bottom interior is pitted. Wear underneath with some areas slightly cracked. Dent at base.
Accession Number
P.97.08
Object ID
P.97.08.5
Location
LHO
Room
Groff Gallery
Wall
East
Place of Origin
Hartford, Connecticut
Credit
Acquired through the generosity of the James Hale Steinman Foundation and Friends of the Heritage Center Museum, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.04.23.39
  1 image  
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
White cotton candlewick bedcover. Candlewicking is a whitework technique using thick cotton thread on white or unbleached muslin. Some examples are loom-woven, with loops creating the motifs. Handmade candlwick pieces use various embroidery and knotting techniques around various implements to create the characteristic loops.
Object Name
Bedcover
Length (cm)
254
Length (ft)
8.3333333333
Length (in)
100
Width (cm)
220.98
Width (ft)
7.25
Width (in)
87
Condition
Poor-Good
Condition Date
2020-01-24
Condition Notes
Spots on one edge; browning, especially along a fold line. Separation of threads. Three along edges (one 8 inches long) occur on unbound edges. Some within piece.
Accession Number
G.04.23
Object ID
G.04.23.39
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Cabinet
Unit 12
Shelf
Shelf 6
Container
Box 1010
Credit
Gift of Sarah Muench, Heritage Center Collection, LancasterHistory.org
Images
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.05.15.18
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Ribbon threader or bodkin is a blade of nickel-plated non-ferrous metal, in a torpedo shape, wide and rounded at one end and tapering to a point at other end. Two slots are cut in wide end for stringing ribbon that needs to be threaded through casings in waistbands, wristbands, etc.
Stamped inscriptions: On one side of tool is "RIBBON THEADER", "REGISTERED", "No. 3", AND "K.B.C.".
Provenance
Collected by Lillian Hollings Kiker, born to Scottish Americans who lived in New Jersey. Born (1912) and lived in New Jersey, last of Egg Harbor, she was active with quilting, sewing, knitting & crocheting. Collection inherited by donor when her mother passed away.
Year Range From
1890
Year Range To
1925
Subcategory
Textileworking T&E
Object Name
Bodkin
Material
Metal
Length (in)
3.25
Width (in)
0.625
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2015-04-28
Condition Notes
Minor areas of corrosion & tarnish.
Accession Number
G.05.15
Object ID
G.05.15.18
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 4
Cabinet
Unit 19
Container
Box 1002: Sewing & Needlework
Credit
Gift of Susan Garofola in memory of Lillian Kiker (mother), Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.05.15.30
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Bodkin of bone is a flattened needle with one rounded end and one end with a blunt point. Slot of 5/8" in length is cut into body near rounded end. This tool is used for threading ribbons, etc. through casings, fabric tubes or loops.
Provenance
Collected by Lillian Hollings Kiker, born to Scottish Americans who lived in New Jersey. Born (1912) and lived in New Jersey, last of Egg Harbor, she was active with quilting, sewing, knitting & crocheting. Collection inherited by donor when her mother passed away.
Year Range From
1890
Year Range To
1930
Subcategory
Textileworking T&E
Object Name
Bodkin
Material
Bone
Length (in)
3.5
Depth (in)
0.5
Diameter (in)
0.25
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2015-04-30
Condition Notes
Good condition with minor surface abrasions.
Accession Number
G.05.15
Object ID
G.05.15.30
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 4
Cabinet
Unit 19
Container
Box 1002: Sewing & Needlework
Credit
Gift of Susan Garofola in memory of Lillian Kiker (mother), Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.05.15.31
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Bodkin of steel is a blunt needle used for threading ribbons or other fabric through casings, loops, etc.
Two thin pieces of tapered steel are laminated together through half their length at narrow end. Two pieces at wider end are separated, allowing a ribbon or other material to be fitted into "jaws" and clamped in place via a sliding mechanism fitted into slot that extends lenthwise toward jaws. Inside of jaw ends have 3 pairs of raised barbs or teeth that enable the jaws to hold material without slipping.
Stamped on one side at midsection is "THE DOT." This likely refers to the rounded sliding mechanism fitted in the slot.
Provenance
Collected by Lillian Hollings Kiker, born to Scottish Americans who lived in New Jersey. Born (1912) and lived in New Jersey, last of Egg Harbor, she was active with quilting, sewing, knitting & crocheting. Collection inherited by donor when her mother passed away.
Year Range From
1900
Year Range To
1925
Subcategory
Textileworking T&E
Object Name
Bodkin
Material
Steel
Length (in)
2.75
Width (in)
0.125
Depth (in)
0.5
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2015-04-30
Condition Notes
Minor surface abrasions and several minor points of corrosion.
Accession Number
G.05.15
Object ID
G.05.15.31
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 4
Cabinet
Unit 19
Container
Box 1002: Sewing & Needlework
Credit
Gift of Susan Garofola in memory of Lillian Kiker (mother), Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.05.15.32
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Bodkin of steel is a blunt needle used for threading ribbons, tape or other fabric through casings, loops, etc.
Bodkin is two thin pieces of tapered steel that are laminated together through half their length at narrow end. Two pieces at wider end are separated, allowing a ribbon or other material to be fitted into "jaws" and clamped in place via a sliding mechanism fitted into slot that extends lenthwise toward jaws. Jaws are enabled to hold material without slipping via two raised beads stamped into one side and two matching holes on other side.
Stamped onto one side of tool at midsection is "PATD. MAR. 29. 92."
Provenance
Collected by Lillian Hollings Kiker, born to Scottish Americans who lived in New Jersey. Born (1912) and lived in New Jersey, last of Egg Harbor, she was active with quilting, sewing, knitting & crocheting. Collection inherited by donor when her mother passed away.
Year Range From
1892
Year Range To
1920
Subcategory
Textileworking T&E
Object Name
Bodkin
Material
Steel
Length (in)
2.25
Width (in)
0.125
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2015-04-30
Condition Notes
General distortion throughout. Minor surface abrasions and several minor points of corrosion.
Accession Number
G.05.15
Object ID
G.05.15.32
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 4
Cabinet
Unit 19
Container
Box 1002: Sewing & Needlework
Credit
Gift of Susan Garofola in memory of Lillian Kiker (mother), Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.09.02.1
Date Range
c. 1900
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Quaker bonnet owned and worn by Mercy Moore Carter Wood. Black silk shell on both brim and back. Back is lined with loose-weave linen scrim, pleated, and back is gathered on the top where attached to the brim. Linen tape and lining connect brim to back inside. 5"-deep brim lined in white silk.
On bonnet back at bottom is a black silk ruffled skirting trimmed above with a prominent bow. Wide black silk ties attached to base of brim, approx. 23" long, have unfinished, fraying ends.
Mercy Moore Carter Wood (b. Nov. 29, 1822 and d. Sept. 14, 1911) married James Wood in 1845, lived on a farm in Little Britain Twp. near Kirk Mills and raised 8 children. James Wood was a farmer and bank director. The Woods were members of the Eastland Friends Meeting, located in Little Britain Twp. between Wrightsdale and Kirks Mills.
Photo of Mercy Wood in file, with inscription on reverse side of frame (now discarded) is: "Mercy Moore Carter Wood/ Taken on her 80th/ Birthday 1902/ on the Wood farm at family reunion." Photo is mounted on board imprinted "C.W. Thomas/ Electric Block/ Oxford, PA."
See also G09.2.2 -- cap belonging to same owner.
Provenance
Descended in family to donor who is the great granddaughter of Mercy Wood.
Date Range
c. 1900
Year Range From
1890
Year Range To
1900
People
Wood, Mercy Moore Carter
Wood, James
Subcategory
Clothing -- Headwear
Object Name
Bonnet
Material
Silk / Linen
Height (in)
9.5
Width (in)
8
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2016-08-05
Condition Notes
Brown mildewed spotting on brim lining. Overall darkening of linen lining, especially at neck. Outer shell of bonnet has sprinkling of light mildew spots.
Accession Number
G.09.02
Object ID
G.09.02.1
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 3
Cabinet
Unit 14
Container
Box #113
Place of Origin
Little Britain Twp
Credit
Heritage Center Collection, gift of Ruth C. Wodock
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
P.98.52.1
Date Range
c. 1750
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Bookplate on a page from a Martyrs Mirror, done in the style of Ephrata Cloister with a flowing hand using strong, bold letters. Letters are black with green and orange infill. Bookplate simply reads: "Carl/ Christo/ phel." One flower is at top right and a sylized pot with plant having 3 flowers is at lower left. Page is float-mounted in a window mat with a handmade cherry frame.
Removed from Martyrs Mirror by a previous owner (Evelyn Good) due to water damage to the book which was then discarded. The opposing page was also saved and is mounted in Mylar on reverse side of frame. It carries a ghost image of the bookplate; string from binding is visible.
Acquired with typewritten inscription mounted on back of frame states: "BOOKPLATE MADE FOR CARL CHRISTOPHEL FOR/ HIS COPY OF THE EPHRATA MARTYR'S MIRROR-1748./ WORK OF SISTER ANASTASIA THE PEN-ARTIST OF THE CLOISTER ABC PATTERN BOOK OF LETTERS."
According to Clarke Hess, the penwork is by an unknown Ephrata Cloister artist. Clarke notes that Carl Christophel was a deacon at New Danville Mennonite Church in Conestoga Twp.(now Pequea Twp.) He died in 1767.
In Masonic Lodge Fraktur exhibit for several years. Removed circa 2008.
On short-term exhibit at Historical Society of Cocalico Valley, 2010.
Provenance
Dr. Robbins purchased framed pages from Evelyn Yingst Good's sale, Sat., May 11, 1991, lot #152, for $3,800. Evelyn Good was an Ephrata librarian. Valued at $5000, Robbins sold to museum for $2,500, donating the other half. Irene Walsh then reimbursed museum for the $2,500.
Date Range
c. 1750
Year Range From
1750
Year Range To
1760
Made By
Unknown Ephrata Cloister artist
People
Christophel, Carl
Subcategory
Documentary Artifact
Subject
Bookplate
Fraktur
Search Terms
Bookplates
Fraktur
Ephrata Cloister
Object Name
Bookplate
Oither Names
Fraktur
Material
Ink / Paper
Height (in)
14
Width (in)
8.75
Dimension Details
Frame is H: 18" W: 13.5
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2016-10-24
Condition Notes
Acid burned edges are brown; soiled along outside edges; stains and foxing. Moisture stain at top left. Remains of binding still attached at left. Moisture staining at upper left corner. Two minor tears at top center, with ragged edges overall. Paper losses within black ink.
Conserved by Marilyn Kemp Weidner of Phila.
Accession Number
P.98.52
Object ID
P.98.52.1
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
Island 5
Cabinet
Unit 43
Shelf
Upper
Place of Origin
Ephrata Cloister, Lancaster Co.
Credit
Acquired through the generosity of Irene Walsh and Dr. Warren Robbins, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
P.94.13.1
Date Range
c. 1776
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Pewter dram bottle, canteen or flask. Flattened round body with flat bottom having a thin oval foot. Seam at center of rounded sides. Very short, tapered, threaded neck has a fitted and threaded 3/4" high thimble-shaped cap. Decorative concentric circles incised on flattened sides.
Touchmark stamped on bottom is "I.C H/ LANCASTER" in lettering with serifs. Mark is a Laughlin touch #532, 533.
Provenance
Bottle was in the attic of Samuel R. Haldeman's home until he died and Harry, the youngest son, surreptitiously took it along with other belongings to Buffy's Auction in Lebanon where the bottle was sold in a box lot to Mahlon Keith for 30 cents. Keith later sold it to friend William Snyder of Bleak House in Paradise for about $400. Snyder then sold it at the Bleak House sale through A.R. Cox Antiques of Kinzer on May 4, 1965 to donor Dr. Scott, who purchased it for $5,000. Heritage Center purchased at Scott sale (Christie's) for $18,400 on June 10, 1994.
Date Range
c. 1776
Made By
Johann Christoph Heyne (1715-1781)
Subcategory
Need to Classify
Object Name
Bottle, Dram
Material
Pewter, Solder
Height (in)
5.5
Length (in)
4.875
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2014-08-06
Condition Notes
Multiple scratches, nicks and pitting overall. Several large dents on body. Cap has significant nicks and dents. Strong wear on concentric circles.
Accession Number
P.94.13
Object ID
P.94.13.1
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West
Cabinet
Unit 32
Place of Origin
W. King Street, Lancaster
Credit
**See accession description
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.98.15.1
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Chinese export bowl of high fired porcelain, polychrome decoration under glaze. Thin walled in nearly hemispherical form sitting on a 3/4" raised foot. Gold-painted rim with red edging. Two goldfish inside bottom. Continuous landscape on exterior is the same repeating Roman or Greek scene of a seated half-robed seated man with dog facing three nude women and seated baby. All set against distant mountains and one tree in foreground.
Year Range From
1800
Year Range To
1850
Subcategory
Food Service T&E
Object Name
Bowl
Material
Clay, paint, glaze
Height (in)
4.5
Diameter (in)
10
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2914-05-07
Condition Notes
Repaired diagonal crack extending down from lip.
Accession Number
G.98.15
Object ID
G.98.15.1
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West Wall
Cabinet
Unit 35
Place of Origin
China
Credit
Gift of Drs. Irwin and M. Susan Richman
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.80.123.6
Date Range
Mid-19th century
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Large redware mixing bowl, with dark red-brown glaze inside. Spout formed at lip. Two applied handles at sides. Glaze splashed and dripped onto other areas of bowl, including sides, handles, and underside of lip.
Incised on bottom is the number "30".
Date Range
Mid-19th century
Made By
Unknown
Subcategory
Food Processing T&E
Object Name
Bowl, Mixing
Material
Redware / Glaze
Height (in)
6.625
Width (in)
15.25
Diameter (in)
14.75
Condition Notes
Large areas of glaze loss, as well as multiple small losses. Scratches and pinpricks in surface. The edge is worn. Some chunks of bottom edge are missing.
Accession Number
G.80.123
Object ID
G.80.123.6
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West
Cabinet
Unit 36
Place of Origin
Southeastern PA
Credit
Heritage Center Collection, gift of Mrs. Paul A. Mueller
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.02.31.5 A-B
Date Range
June 5, 1850
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Staffordshire transferware sugar bowl in tureen form. Octagonal rounded body (A) sits on a pedestal; two molded applied handles at sides. Conforming domed lid (B) has cutout at one side for spoon and a molded finial on top. Black transfer pattern is a landscape with palatial buildings, trees, vegetation and distant mountains. Border is scroll design with narrow band of quatrefoil flowers and edged with Gothic crockets. Underside marked with pattern name "Missouri" above "B & S." A prominent English registry mark indicates the manufacture date of June 5, 1850.
Date Range
June 5, 1850
Made By
B & S
Subcategory
Food Service T&E
Object Name
Bowl, Sugar
Material
Clay, paint, glaze
Height (in)
6.5
Width (in)
6.25
Dimension Details
Width is handle to handle.
Condition
Good
Condition Date
2014-03-27
Condition Notes
Repaired break at lip corner.
Accession Number
G.02.31
Object ID
G.02.31.5 A-B
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West
Cabinet
Unit 35
Place of Origin
England
Credit
Gift of Mrs. R. Leslie Ellis, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.98.51.27 A-B
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Glazed soft paste porcelain Gaudy Welsh sugar bowl (A) with lid (B). Handpainted inverted tulips of red and yellow are interspersed with 3 large, dominating deep blue scalloped motifs decorated with copper lustre painted floral decoration. Squat pot-bellied body sits on a low squarish pedestal with scalloped edging. Two molded angular applied handles. Top has round mouth with flared collar extends outward. Domed lid has squarish molded knob finial. Darkened remnant of paper sticker with blurred writing, perhaps "-caster/ --ea set/ --1825."
Provenance
Collected by Harpo and Susan Marx during visits back East from CA. Donated to Heritage Center.
Year Range From
1800
Year Range To
1850
Last Owner
Harpo and Susan Marx
Subcategory
Food Service T&E
Object Name
Bowl, Sugar
Material
Clay, paint, glaze
Height (in)
6
Width (in)
6
Dimension Details
Width is handle to handle.
Condition
Excellent
Condition Date
0014-05-07
Condition Notes
Minimal soiling. Little sign of wear under pedestal foot.
Accession Number
G.98.51
Object ID
G.98.51.27 A-B
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West
Cabinet
Unit 35
Place of Origin
England
Credit
Given in memory of Harpo by Susan Marx, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Object ID
G.01.35.19 A-B
Collection
Heritage Center Collection
Description
Small molded sugar bowl (A) with fitted lid (B), of white-bodied china. Bulbous pear shaped body has leaf molded exterior and four sagging lobes that bulge at the base. Two applied rustic handles. Decorated with dark blue on upper 1/3 of bowl. Gold-painted highlights on one side only, on handles and embossed leaves at sides. On side of body in stamped, gold lettering is: "Souvenir/ of/ Lancaster/ Pa."
Fitted, domed lid (B) is molded with foliate inspiration with rustic handle/finail.
Stamped underneath in gold is a crown over shield witht the monogram of "TGC"(?) The number "12" also stamped in gold.
Provenance
Donor believes this set was purchased at Woolworth's store in Lancaster.
Year Range From
1900
Year Range To
1914
Subcategory
Food Service T&E
Object Name
Bowl, Sugar
Material
Clay, paint, glaze
Height (in)
3.5
Width (in)
4.5
Dimension Details
Width includes handle.
Condition
Excellent
Condition Date
2014-05-08
Accession Number
G.01.35.
Object ID
G.01.35.19 A-B
Location
LHO
Room
DAC
Wall
West Wall
Cabinet
Unit 35
Place of Origin
Germany
Credit
Gift of Dorothy Mowery Smith, Heritage Center Collection
Less detail

81465 records – page 1 of 4074.