The Andrew B. Rote Collection contains the business records of C. V. Rote & Co., which later became A. B. Rote & Co., and some family records. The Lancaster company specialized in awnings and ironwork. Deeds, mortgages, and other property records are for property owned by the Rotes and used for their business. The record books of the company, 1881-1942, show accounting, clients, cash flow, bids, and inventory. A catalog of architectural bronze and iron works illustrates their products. There are also stock certificates for a number of local and regional businesses such as Farmers Trust Company, Union Trust Company, and Meadia Heights Golf Club.
C. V. Rote & Company was founded by Charles V. Rote, Jacob F. Bender, and John W. Holman on 3 March 1881, specifically for the manufacture of awnings. Bender and Holman provided the financing, space for the shop, the time they could commit, and the use of their horse and buggy. Rote committed his labor and time in manufacturing the awnings. Their initial success continued when they added architectural bronze and iron work. Andrew B. Rote took over the business in 1894, which was then located at 111-117 E. Chestnut Street, Lancaster.